14 August 2008

where to begin.....?

So much to catch up on. I either need to post more often or share less. Seeing as the point of this blog was to share more I guess I need to focus on the former. Excuse the barrage, but here goes....


1) buried treas...uh...umm...stuff...
Antiques Roadshow was a lot of fun. The lines were VERY LONG. We got there at 1:30 and didn't walk out until after 6:00 and there was no sitting down. It was also PACKED. They had more requests for tickets for this show in GR than any other in the show's history.

Sad to say my borrowed treasures weren't worth much:
  • Sugar & Creamer = depression era glass ~$25 USD
  • Opera glasses = ~1880, unique that they were not mother-of-pearl, but they were Parisian, not too rare ~$125 USD.

My friend Helen didn't do much better:
  • Grandmother's hankie collection = ~$100-$200 USD
  • "Hand-painted" bone china plate = ~$20 USD

Even though our treasures turned out to be relatively worthless, we got to meet some cool people: we talked to the couple in line behind us for a while. He's a chef who trained at Le Cordon Bleu in the great white land to the north of here, but he's originally from Lake Linden (in da U.P. for those of you who don't know). Go figure. We also got to meet the show's host, Mark Walberg (no, not Marky Mark nor any Funky Bunch), as Helen was getting her hankies appraised. He was really nice.

The stuff that did get filmed while we were there (translation = my big ole' backside may be in the background of some of the shots...):
  • a black (Navajo is what the owner said) blanket
  • a gaudy-awful red and gold clock monstrosity
  • a pretty cool greenish vase
  • two prop spear-like things used in the film the Wizard of Oz
The show will be aired during the 2009 season, and the schedule for that will be announced this fall. I'll post it when I know.

2) gettin' movin'
I've actually bit the bullet and have made a pledge to get myself more healthy and active. In doing so I joined a local fitness franchise. Had my first 'real' workout last night. It wasn't too bad actually--which is weird, cuz I hate exercise typically. I followed that workout with a stroll to check out the expansion project along the waterfront in Kollen Park. They've added a BEAUTIFUL lakefront boardwalk that will stretch West past the Heinz pickle factory and then East to the edge of downtown Holland. The picture isn't that clear, but this is the best documentation of the expansion project (page 12-13). I also met some really nice Hollanders while out on my walk, Jose and his kids Abraham (7) and Lynda (5). They were out taking advantage of the beautiful weather and the new venue while mom was finishing up at work and invited me to stroll with them. There sure are some really nice people in the world. :)

3) pinching (and picking up) pennies
I heard the coolest story on Marketplace (NPR) the other day. This family has a hobby of going for walks and picking up dropped coins--they have collected an UNBELIEVABLE amount of discarded change. My eyes are so going to be scanning the pavement/gravel/grass on my next stroll.

There's more to share, but I've run outta time. Adios for now!

No comments: