21 July 2008

step 1: moving off the island

I've been living on an island for the past few years.

Unfortunately it wasn't a lush tropical island, but a figurative island. The circumstances surrounding the relationship that I was in, along with the personality traits of the 'X' caused me, enabled me, forced me (take your pick) to isolate myself from all but a very few of my friends (they know who they are). I didn't and/or couldn't talk about my life and the things going on in it--I was ashamed, scared, and to some degree disppointed in myself. From the inside it seemed like it happened gradually, but I'm not sure I can actually trust my perception of reality during that time frame. I don't think I've ever really been that good at reaching out. I play a good 'Doc' as some of you know; asking deep questions about others, but never really revealing much about myself.

That is the past though. I'm working towards a better future. This blog is part of that future. So is moving off the island. I took one of my first trips off the island this past weekend, meeting up with my college chicas while on a trip to Detroit. Angie, Lara, Dee, Nicole, Stacy, Becky (sadly no Jamie). I was really glad to see you. I know I still have a lot of work to do, but I feel for the first time, in a long time, that it is possible. :)

After hanging with the chicas, I went to visit Nanner and my furry nephew Sam (along with another furry house guest, Buddy). I tried to help get Sam and Buddy out of the way while Nanner's new roomate moved in. We ended up just taking them to Nanner's BFs' (Jen & Davey) house. We left the furry friends there to play while the humanoids (including newest edition Devon, and his 'Godfather', Travis) set off to Ann Arbor for some exploring. We had a nice meal at the Prickly Pear and then went on to explore Crazy Wisdom Bookstore & Tea Room (where I was able to pick up some Henna--woohoo!). We rounded out the trip with some ice cream from Kilwin's. We were stuffed, but it was SO hot and the ice cream tasted pretty darn good.

By the time I rolled into my abode, it was past 9:00. So I'm pooped today and the house is trashed, but I was off-island for a little while. It wasn't half bad. I just might do it again sometime soon. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this Kolassa? You left no identifier, friend. If it's K, then yes, please add me to your blog. It's really good to hear from you. m_pupoh@yahoo.com