17 July 2008

Stop! I want a do-over!

If I could figure out a way to do the last 12+ hours over again I would...

It began last night when I ran into Menard's to pick up some cup hooks to hang my latest home improvement project (I'll share pics of that in the next post). I got what I needed, as well as a few items for my next project, pretty quick. However, I ended up trapped in Menard's for an extra hour because, even though the meteorologists had said there was a "slight chance" (Jen's translation = "oh-so-not-gonna-happen") of isolated (Jen's translation = "maximum of 10 sq. ft.") thunderstorms, it was armageddon out there. Mind you, as I randomnly circled the new 62,398,612,854.320 sq. ft. Menard's in my not-for-hiking shoes, fending off 'helpful' Menardites hiding behind every product display, waiting for the tempest to let up, I couldn't help but think of the pile of freshly washed and dried clothes laying on the loveseat in my bedroom--right in front of the open windows that face full west. Nice.

After I got home and got that mess all cleaned up, I checked out my new laser leveler and planned how I would complete the initial home improvement project. I got a good night's sleep and attacked the project. It looks pretty darn good if I do say so myself. :)

So next I ran downstairs to get some clothes for work off of the hang-dryer, as well as some jars of jam that I promised a colleague. The first thing I noticed was the aroma. It wasn't bad or rotten--I'd describe it as musty. At first I made sure the dehumidifier down there was running ok--it was; then I just attributed it to the extended days of 2973% humidity we've been having. That was until I turned the corner to get the jam and saw weird things on the floor in the shadows. I freaked at first, paranoid that the weird things were living things--they weren't. They were large shards of glass. Glass from a gallon bottle of homemade strawberry wine. Well, it was supposed to be wine, but due to the less-than-stellar mental capabilities of the 'X' (he used champagne yeast instead of wine yeast, freakin' Einstein)--I had a time-bomb on my hands. Luckily most of the damage appeared to be the shattered glass. The remains of the champagne leaked out the bottom instead of spraying like a fountain.

So I went back upstairs to call into work to let them know I'd be late, and I can't find my phone (I use only a cell--no land lines). I dump out my purse--no phone. I dump out my computer bag--no phone. I dump out various other bags--no phone. Sheesh! Maybe it fell out at work. So I go back to getting ready for work b/c I've exhausted every place that I think my phone could be; and it's already obvious to whoever is there that I am not. I'll just explain it when I get in.

Fast forward--> I get to work. No phone. Darn--Narbit!!! I can't even call the dang thing from my desk phone cuz I know it is turned off. Son of a!!!! Now I know as soon as I go out a buy a new phone, which I'm going to have to do over lunch, the old one will turn up. Great. Just great.

Is it tomorrow yet?

2 comments:

Elenbga said...

haha! Look at you! Out here with the rest of us! And now, you have your first comment too.

Glad to have you here!

Em said...

I never thought this day would come... ;)...so glad to have you out here in the blogosphere! :)

Oh man, what a pain! Did you get a new phone, then? Any sign of your other one yet?

BTW, if you're still pondering on digicams, I have a couple of recommendations...or...I have a few-year-old point-and-shoot one that still take great pics that you can just HAVE (we have the Nikon DSLR and a newer Cannon powershot now).

Let me know! :)